Cheshire Poet Laureate 2006

This will be a Blog of my year as Cheshire Poet Laureate and a chance to get some feedback on different activities. Visit my web site at http://business.virgin.net/sound.houses for further information. Andrew Rudd

My Photo
Name:
Location: Frodsham, Cheshire, United Kingdom

Details on my home page

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

First Events

On Monday afternoon (16 January) I went to County Hall for the formal handover and photo-call. We negotiated the curious maze of corridors, met up with Joy Winkler (the 2005 poet) and we spent a long time smiling on the lower steps, handing over the silver scroll. The press release and pictures have gone out to all the papers. I began to realise how big this thing is when I started to get phonecalls and emails.

So far, the Chester Evening Leader has been first past the post (Jan 20) followed by The Wilmslow Express, the Sentinel (which covers some of Staffordshire and South Cheshire), Radio Stoke and the Manchester Evening News. The Sentinel sent a photographer and should have a lot of cold-looking images of me sitting on steps on MMU Crewe Campus. Today, Tuesday, the Manchester Evening News photographer took pictures of me in Frodsham Park and on the hill, a misty view of Liverpool and the motorway stretched out behind my book. And I just recorded an interview about the web project – Lines on the Map – for Silk Radio in Macclesfield – to go out on the news bulletins next Sunday.

I’m beginning to realise the possibilities of this laureateship, the way it opens doors for poetry in lots of places which would be closed to me as a private individual. Watch this space!

Unofficial Commission: A Fair Trade poem for Macclesfield Fair Trade Fortnight in March, and the town has just received Fair Trade Status.

Coming Events:

February 2. Reading at ‘First Thursday’ – Lingham’s Bookshop, Heswall. 7.30

March 8. Fair Trade Event, Macclesfield.

March 24-26. A Lent Retreat at Foxhill Centre based around the poetry of George Herbert, including an open event on Saturday Evening with poetry, pictures and music. Details http://www.foxhillconferences.co.uk/page.php?domain_name=foxhillconferences.co.uk&viewpage=2006%20Retreats

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home